Sat 21
Hendon FC
First Team
Rangers bow out of FA Cup after narrow loss at Hendon

Rangers bow out of FA Cup after narrow loss at Hendon

By Match Scribe
Share via

Rangers Emirates FA Cup adventures for this season came to an end after a very creditable performance, against a two levels higher team, and pretty much ....

under the shadow of the famous Wembley arch.

Playing up the slope the Clarets soon gave notice that they had sights on another upset, Charlie Coulson supplied Jordan Macleod, he turned in the box to flash a short across the face of the goal missing at the far post, keeper Lewis Elsom’s long kick was aimed at Luke Hunnings, the ball fell for fellow central defender Aaron Davies to hit first time, the effort pulling wide.

A ball into the Greens box saw home skipper Tom Hamblin’s headed clearance only set up Dan Jarvis whose volley from 10 yards flew high over.

Deeping opened the scoring on 22 mins, Coulson’s long cross field ball allowed Jack Gurney freedom down the right, he crossed into the heart of the box where Scott Mooney and Macleod were in between the central defenders with Macleod power his header past the helpless home keeper Chris Grace (0-1)

Hendon’s Ryan Hope and Connor Calcutt combined well, Calcutt sent in a good ball where Davies was on hand to nip away from the arriving Matty Harriott.

Rangers increased their advantage on 32 mins, Coulson’s ball to the edge of the box picked out Jarvis, a touch and blast saw the ball curl into bottom corner of the Greens net. (0-2)

The Greens Hope showed good persistence, he made his way into the visitor’s box before seeing his shot being well defended by a couple of Claret shirts and the threat had gone.

A misplaced Hendon pass allowed Macleod to intercept, his pass gave Coulson space, he eventually supplied Mooney whose curling effort was wide of the far post, Mooney then had a good appeal for a handball penalty ignored by the inconsistent referee.

Hendon sub Luca Valentine was found by Howard Hall’s pass, his shot pulled wide of the target.

With additional time being played both side had a chance, Coulson’s directed header gave Gurney a shooting opportunity but his effort ran through to Grace while at the other end Kameron English got around Luke Anderson, his dribble into the box saw his shot skew wide of the far post.

Half Time – Hendon 0 Deeping Rangers 2

The home Manger had looked very displeased leaving for the half time team talk and his charges set of on the offensive from the start of the 2nd half and they had reduce the arrears inside 40 seconds, Charlie Smith’s in swinging corner saw Jarvis’ attempt to clear skew high into his own net. (1-2 – 46 mins)

The invigorated Greens pushed hard, Dan Williams was found free on the left, he advanced to a shooting position, the effort blasting over Elsom’s goal, English’s cross saw Williams rise at the far post but the header was also high over the goal.

A ball through the Deeping defence saw Valentine looking to collect but was thwarted bye a good challenge by Elsom way outside of his box, English supplied a cross for Williams who saw his header smash against the corner of the goal frame.

The Greens were pressing hard, Calcutt had a shot blocked, it fell for Valentine whose controlled effort brought a very good full length save from Elsom to tip away from the top corner, Williams also fizzed a shot over the bar from the edge of the box.

Rangers reminded Hendon they were still in the game, Mooney collected Elsom’s drop kick with some fime control, his shot on the turn had Grace scrambling but the effort whizzed by the upright.

Hendon equalised on 66 mins, Calcutt got away with a push on Andersen to deliver a ball into the goal area where English applied the finish. (2-2)

The turnaround was completed on 70 mins when the Greens took the lead for the first time, English this time delivered a low ball into the Clarets goal area where Calcutt was on hand to tap home. (3-2)

Rangers would not surrender easily and pressed for an equaliser, Michael Simpson retrieved a corner kick to blast at goal, Mooney’s touch was heading for the net until Grace threw himself across goal to tip on the post and away, Matt Carter’s pass picked out Simpson in the box, he went past Hall to blast at goal for Grace to parry away, Carter delivered a good low cross into the goal area, youngster Ryan Olbromski was in the mix but his touch was just not enough to get the ball over the line and Smith cleared as Mooney looked to finish.

In the end it was extreme disappointment for Rangers but a good Cup run has ended with much to be pleased about – thankfully the performance on the pitch was better than that of the karaoke on the journey home!

Full Time – Hendon 3 Deeping Rangers 2

Attendance: 196

Hendon: 1. Chris Grace, 2. Howard Hall, 3. Charlie Smith, 4. Sam Corcoran (17. Ram Marwa - 81), 5. Tom Hamblin ©,6. Luke Tingey,7. Ryan Hope, 8. Matty Harriott (14. Dan Williams 46),9. Connor Calcutt,10. Tom Nyama (15. Luca Valentine - 31), 11. Kameron English,

Subs (not used): 12. Rom Jonas, 13. Tyla Dickinson, 16. Harvie Gardiner, 18. Scott McGleish.

Deeping Rangers: 1. Lewis Elsom, 2. David Burton-Jones ©, 3. Luke Andersen (15. Ryan Olbromski – 81), 4. Aaron Davies, 5. Luke Hunnings, 6. Sam Murphy, 7. Jack Gurney (14. Matt Carter – 85), 8. Dan Jarvis, 9. Scott Mooney, 10. Jordan Macleod, 11. Charlie Coulson (12. Michael Simpson – 71)

Subs (not used): 16. Jack Marsden, 17. Dan Bircham

Referee: Lee Dyson

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 21, Sep 2019